Its going to be hot hot hot summer! Temperatures are soaring but so are fresh summer produce! This summer I have been doing weekly trip to the farmer’s market. Fresh corn ears, all kinds of berries, stone fruits and tomatoes- these are some of the produce which are at their peak at this time of the year.
From my trip to the farmer’s market last week I bought some delicious heirloom tomatoes! Funny thing is growing up as a kid I never really enjoyed raw tomatoes. I always found them to be too squishy but as an adult, I absolutely love them!
Fresh heirloom tomatoes topped with some fantastic extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs, sea salt and fresh crushed black pepper. This salad was the perfect recipe to use the olive oil and the liquid gold balsamic vinegar we got from Modena. Nonetheless, the tomatoes are the star of this salad, and all the other ingredients just help to bring out the best of it.
Heirloom Tomato Salad
Yield 4 servings
Bright and refreshing, this salad highlights the simple tomato with some olive oil and balsamic. End result you have a deliciously sophisticated summer salad.
- 4-5 heirloom tomatoes in different sizes and colors
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
- Combine the tomatoes with the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil and mint.
- Toss well and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or with some fresh burrata.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.6 g
Sodium 75 mg
Total Carbohydrates 9.4 g
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 1.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.