After I shared the Chole recipe (Chickpea Curry), I got such an overwhelming response from everyone!!! I want to say that has been one of the most popular recipes so far!
Since you guys loved it so much, I have been working on another popular Indian curry recipe, Palak Paneer sometimes also referred to as Saag Paneer. Palak translates to spinach and paneer is a type of a fresh homemade curd cheese. So this dish consists of cheese cubes in spinach based curry!
I know green color food is probably not the most visually appealing, but don’t let the green scare you away! This dish is probably one of the best things you will ever eat!
This recipe has a delicious curry made from onions, tomatoes, spices and spinach. This is cooked together and then blended to form the curry base. To this you add cubes of paneer and a little bit cream. The end result is a luscious, velvety curry!!
Yield 6 Servings
This velvety spinach curry with cubes of paneer will make your mouth water while it's cooking! The soft, marshmallow like paneer is what takes it to the next level for me, talk about a party in your mouth!
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped in cubes
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander (cilantro) powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 large handfuls of spinach
- 3 cups (12oz) paneer, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Heat ghee in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add the cumin seeds to the ghee and let them crackle.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for a 3-4 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the remaining spices (red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric, garam masala) to the onion-garlic mixture and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes and stir well. Cover with a lid to allow the tomatoes to cook.
- Once the tomatoes soften, add the spinach one handful at a time. Let all the spinach leaves wilt down.
- Pour this spinach mix into a blender, add about 1/2 cup of water and blend to form a bright green smooth curry.
- Transfer this blended curry back into the pot. Keep the stove on low-medium head and add the cubes of paneer and cream.
- Serve with basmati rice or naan.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 18.4 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 116 mg
Total Carbohydrates 9.1 g
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 14.6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.