There are some foods I always like to keep in our freezer. Vegetable stock, basil pesto, cilantro chutney, green curry paste, dosa batter are few of the constant residents of my freezer.
Having these on hand makes it easy for us to put together quick meals – whether it is after a long work day or if I just crave some green curry out of the blue (trust me this has happened multiple times in the past).
While there are a lot of good Thai green curry pastes available in the grocery stores and on Amazon, I do enjoy making my own paste from scratch. There is just something more special and delicious about making it from scratch. Plus the flavors and aroma of those fresh herbs are absolutely intoxicating!!
I typically go to the Asian supermarket near our home to buy the ingredients for the paste but most of these are also available in your everyday grocery store. To be honest, this paste is just an excuse for me to check out the supermarket. Walking around ethnic food stores is something that I definitely enjoy. I feel like it transports me into a completely different world of food.
PS – If you’ve made it this far be sure to check out my Vegetable Thai Green Curry recipe as well.
Thai Green Curry Paste
Yield 12 oz
- 1 cup cilantro
- 5-25 thai green/ red chili peppers (varies based on desired spice level)
- 3 whole stalks of lemongrass / 3 tbsp dried lemongrass
- 2 shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 inch piece of galangal or ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 6-8 kaffir lime leaves (if not available double up on the zest and juice of lime)
- 4-6 dried red chili pepper (optional for extra spice)
- Add all the ingredients in a small size blender or food processor. (I like use the smoothie jars from my ninja set).
- Add about 1/2 cup of water.
- Pulse until smoothly blended.
- Store in fridge for 1 week or in freezer for up to 3 months.
Spice level: Roshan and I typically enjoy spicy food so I usually add about 15 chili peppers. Here is a break up to help you attain the desired spice level.
Level 1, Extremely Mild: 5 chili peppers
Level 2, Medium: 10 chili peppers
Level 3, Spicy: 15 chili peppers
Level 4, Extra Spicy: 20 chili peppers
Level 5, Deadly Spicy: 25 chili peppers
Storage: Store this paste in an air tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Serving Size 4 oz
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Sodium 51 mg
Total Carbohydrates 28.9 g
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.