Spicy Mac and Cheese Muffins
A grown-up version of a childhood classic. These Spicy Mac and Cheese Muffins are tasty, classy and an absolute party pleaser!
- 1 pack of macaroni/ elbow pasta (I used gluten free macaroni from Trader Joes!)
- 4-5 green chilies (change as per your desired spice level)
- 2 cups cheese ( I used equal day portion of Sharp cheddar cheese and guyere cheese, you can absolutely stick to only cheddar cheese if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmegiano Reggiano for topping
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs (dried or fresh, I used a mix of fresh parsley, basil, oregano)
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Cook the pasta as per the package instructions but save about 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Add the green chilies and garlic and sauté for a 1 minute.
- Add the cooked pasta, and the cheddar/ guyere cheese.
- If requested, add the pasta water to adjust the thickness of the sauce. You don’t want to be very runny.
- In a separate bowl mix the bread crumbs, parmegianno Reggiano cheese and Italian herbs together.
- Line a muffin pan with liner and light spray with cooking oil.
- Place the cooked Mac and Cheese in equal portions in the muffin tins.
- Top each of the muffins with the parmegianno Reggiano-bread crumbs mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the top starts to crisps and turn light brown.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16.1 g
Saturated Fat 9.6 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 364 mg
Total Carbohydrates 8.4 g
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 11.1 g
Recipe by The Greedy Belly at https://www.thegreedybelly.com/spicy-mac-and-cheese-muffins/