Who doesn’t like cookies? It’s probably one of the most popular sweet indulgences out there. One of the traditions in our home right at the onset of spring is baking a batch of these Orange Cloud Cookies. Its the best way to bring in the spring season.
These cookies are light and are bursting with the freshness of citrus flavor – just like spring! The first time I made this recipe, Roshan’s immediate reaction was “this is what I image a cloud would taste like”, hence it got the name cloud cookie.
Citrus zest is such a great ingredient to incorporate in recipes. Whether you use it in baking, in salad dressings or even in granola, just a little bit goes such a long way. It adds freshness to any recipe and really livens it up! Though the secret ingredient to this recipe is cream cheese. That is what makes these cookies so soft, moist and airy.
I assure you these cookies are not going to lie around your home for long. Bring them to a pot luck, for a tea party, or just keep a box hidden in your pantry – these cookies really hit the spot!
Orange Cloud Cookies
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the orange zest with the sugar. Use your fingers to mix it so that all the sugar gets coated in the citrus zest.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese, butter, orange juice and the orange zest- sugar mixture for about 2 minutes, until it is fluffy.
- Add the egg and slowly mix it in.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients- flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, while keeping the mixing speed low.
- Drop the dough on the prepared baking sheet in tablespoon size rounds. Sprinkle a little amount of brown sugar on top of each dough ball.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes. The cookies will not change much of a color but the ends and bottom will start browning.
- Remove from oven and the cookies completely cool down for about 4-5 minutes.