Brunch is probably one of the most popular meals in our home. We definitely look forward to our weekend brunches at home or out with friends. Its healthy, filling and I know I enjoy it a lot because it typically involves mimosas!
When I think of brunch, the first thing that comes to my mind is eggs, followed by hash browns. This recipe really combines both of those together.
This Healthy Breakfast Hash recipe really came up on a random weekend when we were trying to figure out we’d like for brunch. We were wishing for something more than just scrambled eggs or an omelet.
I knew we had a few peppers and potatoes in the pantry, and decided to put them together for a real quick hash. I added in some dried Italian herbs, chili flakes and hot sauce for some extra flavor and topped it with a fried egg. Easy peasy!!!
This is recipe is very basic, and can be put together with your everyday pantry ingredients in no time. Its perfect for a lazy weekend brunch in your pajamas!!
Healthy Breakfast Hash
- 1 green bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper cut into cubes
- 1/2 onion cut into cubes
- 4 gold Yukon potatoes cut into cubes (you can leave the skin on)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 eggs add more if you love eggs
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- 1.5 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- A few dashes of hot sauce of your choice Tobasco or Cholula would go great
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet.
- Once hot add the potatoes and vinegar. The vinegar helps to make the potatoes nice and crispy.
- Let the potatoes cooks for 5-7 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Now add the onions, garlic and bell peppers and sauté well.
- Add the dried herbs, crushed red pepper, salt & pepper to taste and a few dashes of the hot sauce.
- Stir it all together.
- Cover with a lid and let all the vegetables cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a separate small skillet, add 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Crack 2 eggs and fry them for a few minutes. Be sure to leave the yolks runny.
- To serve: Place the pepper and potato hash in a plate. Top it with the fried eggs and season with salt and pepper.