I’m not exactly sure when or what started the whole trend on cauliflower rice but it sure is a brilliant idea! I know we are getting a little hipster-ish with this recipe but it’s just too yum!!! Oh and so freaking healthy!!
I think cauliflower is a one of the most underestimated vegetables. Roast it, grill it, make it into rice, use it as pizza crust or add it to curries- the options are endless! This cauliflower rice recipe takes no more than 15 minutes and is so absolutely delish!
For this recipe I added only vegetables but adding some protein in the form of scrambled eggs or tofu would be a great idea!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2 carrots diced into small cubes
- 1 green bell pepper diced in to small cubes
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 4 scallions chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce I used tamari for gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon sambal or chili garlic sauce optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the cauliflower into rice: Grate the cauliflower on a large size cheese grater or give it a few quick pulses in the food processor.
- In a wok or large pan, heat the sesame oil. Add onions, garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute, until the onion is transparent.
- Next add the bell pepper, carrots and peas and stir fry them until the vegetables are cooked but still have a bite to them (about 3-4 minutes).
- Now add in the tamari (or soy sauce), sambal (or your choice of hot sauce), salt and pepper and give it a good mix.
- Last but not least add the cauliflower rice and cook for 5 minutes until the cauliflower softens but should not be mushy.
- Garnish with scallions on top and serve hot.